Monday, January 17, 2005

Bangkok Ho!

Got to SFO airport four hours early and even so had to stand in check-in line 45 min. I like SF International, it’s usually got great art, and spiffy Italian-designed cappuccino kiosks. Big change this time, no check-in baggage. Using GoLite ultra-light pack, am heavier than I’d like to be (most of it in books and camera stuff) but it's so much less stressful to walk off the plane with all you need, rather than sweat out the carousel. Along with the GoLite backpack, I’ve got a great day pack from Rick Steves that folds up next to nothing but can accommodate a fair amount of stuff when you go out in cities.

Four-hour holdup in Tokyo. 21 hours until I rode in exhaust-filled cab and got into Bangkok at 5 AM. The indignity of flying. Crammed into this impossibly small space, I wish I could go into suspended animation for 8 hoursAt Tokyo airport I rented a little 10 × 12' or so room with shower for about $15 and showered and slept for a few hours. Civilized! Mellow looking people on flight. Young, old; Anglos, Japanese, Indians; 7' basketball player, very cool young Japanese guy, moved like warrior, long black ponytail; Japanese girl in black cowboy hat and cowboy boots, she looked good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.