Saturday, January 29, 2005

The Kindness of Strangers

Last night I was driving my rented (funky) motorcycle back to my hotel. I’m on Phu Quoc island in the Gulf of Thailand, off the southern coast of Viet Nam. I got sort of lost, and it had turned dark and I was backtracking to a missed turnoff when the lights on the moto went out. Black night, could hardly see the road. Thought, “Shit, I’m going to have to spend the night out here.” Along comes a local guy on a moto and with no words, he pulls alongside me and I follow his light on the road. After a few miles, I spot a moto mechanic’s shop and pull in. The moto driver takes off without a word. About four guys in the shop, they pull the front off the bike and work on the light. One guy hands me a glass of rice whiskey and a piece of meat, both of which hit the spot. They get the light fixed, won’t take any money and shook my hand. I drive off and find my way back to the hotel.

No comments: